English 1 (Reading I)
The aim of the reading component of this course is twofold. Students will form a basic core of reading skills (skimming, scanning, making inferences, recognizing patterns) and learn to apply these skills in an extensive reading environment. Additionally, the subject matter of the articles students will be reading will form a foundation for understanding light science materials written in English. Furthermore, in the writing component, students will begin developing the fundamental building blocks for the English writing skills needed in science and engineering communities. Practice of these skills will be provided in the form of a short exercise from the writing guide.
Grades will be based on the following:
|2 Quizzes||20/24 points|
|6 Extensive Reading Exercises||4 points each|
|6 Pre-reading Exercises||These exercises are graded on a 2-1-0 scale. If the exercises have been properly completed before class and all requirements of the task are fully met, you will receive 2 points; if they are only partially met, 1 point; if you do not participate in the task or are absent, 0 points.|
|5 Post-reading Exercises||These exercises are graded on a 2-1-0 scale. If the exercises have been properly completed before class and all requirements of the task are fully met, you will receive 2 points; if they are only partially met, 1 point; if you do not participate in the task or are absent, 0 points.|
|1 Written Assignment||10 points|
|Late to class, using your cell phone, chattering in Japanese, sleeping in class, no text, no dictionary||minus 1 point|
E1/E2 PI English Expeditions Materials, Seibido Press.
Note: You are required to purchase a copy of this text for this class. Any possession of a copy of this text (even if it is your own copy) from a previous semester will be considered a violation of academic honesty.
You are required to bring an English-English dictionary to class every day. See the list of recommended dictionaries below for more information.
|Class||Unit||Return & Review||Pre/Post||Extensive||Workshop||HW||Quiz|
|3||Unit 1||Pre-reading||Unit 1||Writing II|
|4||Unit 1||Unit 1||Post-reading||HW4|
|5||Unit 2||Pre-reading||Unit 2||Writing Feedback|
|6||Unit 2||Unit 2||Post-reading|
|7||Unit 3||Pre-reading||Unit 3|
|8||Unit 3||Unit 3||Quiz 1|
|9||Unit 4||Quiz 1||Pre-reading||Unit 4|
|10||Unit 4||Unit 4||Post-reading|
|11||Unit 5||Pre-reading||Unit 5|
|12||Unit 5||Unit 5||Post-reading|
|13||Unit 6||Pre-reading||Unit 6|
|14||Unit 6||Unit 6||Post-reading|
100%, A+; 90-99%, A; 80-89%, B; 60-79%, C; below 60%, F
NOTE: At the end of your second semester, you will be taking a TOEIC-IP exam. You will then be re-streamed for your second-year courses based on the results of this achievement exam, your placement test, and the numerical average of all of your first-year English courses. Therefore, it is important to strive for not only a high letter grade, but also for the highest numerical grade that you are capable of.
Students are expected to attend class regularly. Failure to attend class regularly may result in a reduction of the student's overall grade. Students will be penalized 3 'demerits' for each absence and 1 'demerit' for each 30-minute period they're late. Students who accumulate more than 15 'demerits' (the equivalent of 5 absences) will receive an unsatisfactory grade ('F') for the course. As a rule, no make-up work will be given for unexcused absences.
NOTE: Students who fail to take the TOEIC-IP exam will have 5 points subtracted from the total score of EACH English class they are enrolled in.
You are required to bring an English-English dictionary to class every day. The following is a list of quality paper dictionaries for English language learners. You may use any other dictionary or you may elect to use an electronic dictionary.Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, Oxford University Press.
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, Longman Press.
Collins Cobuild English Dictionary, HarperCollins Publishers.
The English Expeditions extra-credit system is tied into the TOEIC exercises, in order to encourage all students to practice their TOEIC test-taking skills in preparation for the TOEIC examination. For more information on the TOEIC examination, see the TOEIC Exercises section of your Online Education text. The extra-credit point system is as follows:
|Semester One||Semester Two||Semester Three||Semester Four|
|Correctly complete 3 cycles of TOEIC exercises (350 questions) BEFORE the deadline.||Correctly complete 3 cycles of TOEIC exercises (350 questions) BEFORE the deadline.
||Correctly complete 3 cycles of TOEIC exercises (350 questions) BEFORE the deadline.||Correctly complete 3 cycles of TOEIC exercises (350 questions) BEFORE the deadline.
Fulfilling the above requirements will result in five extra-credit points being awarded for each English class in which you are enrolled.
NOTE: Students who have failed to properly submit all homework assignments or have been found in violation of our academic honesty policy are ineligible for extra-credit points.
* NOTES for FALL Classes:Note: TOEIC Bridge-IP scores will be converted to TOEIC-IP scores for all calculations.
- Students who don't take the TOEIC-IP exam, score fewer than 200 points, or have a 20% or greater drop in their scores will receive -5 points in each course.
- For students who do not fall into a. above, the top class (largest gain) in each group receives 7 points (two classes for IM level).
- For students who do not fall into a. above, the top five scores in each class receive 7 points.
- Students who do not fall into a.-c. above will receive 5 points if they have completed 3 cycles of the Online TOEIC Exercises before the deadline and have scored higher on their current TOEIC-IP exam than on their previous exam.
|No Academic Honesty Violations||HW Complete||TOEIC Ex Complete||Took TOEIC-IP Exam||TOEIC-IP Score Gain||TOP 5 TOEIC-IP Score||TOP TOEIC-IP Gain Class||TOEIC-IP Score >200||TOEIC-IP Score <20% Drop||Extra-
オンラインTOEIC Exercisesを期限内に３サイクル終了すると、１回生前期と２回生前期には、履修中の全必修英語科目でボーナス得点（Extra-credit Points）が５点ずつもらえます。ただし、出席が足りていない場合、未提出の課題がある場合、および、不正行為が一度でもあった場合は、ボーナス得点の加算はありません。
- 上記b,cに該当しない場合でも、オンラインTOEIC Exercisesを期限内に３サイクル終了し、かつ、前回の試験からスコアが伸びていたら、履修中の全必修英語科目でボーナス得点を５点ずつもらえます。
The following guidelines are designed to make your English classes run a bit more smoothly. Please take the time to read each of them carefully and ask questions if any of the points are unclear.
- No chattering when someone else (especially the teacher!!) has the floor.
- In-class tasks must be completed in English. English classes meet only once a week for 90 minutes. If you speak Japanese while you're in English class, you're wasting possibly your only chance to practice English every week.
- Use only a ballpoint pen for text-based exercises. It is important to learn from your mistakes and if you use a pencil, you'll probably end up erasing your mistakes. If you find that you've made a mistake, cross it out with a single line (so that you can still read it and learn from it!).
- Attendance is taken only once per class. If you come late, be sure to write your name on the blackboard so that the teacher can mark you present after class.
- Turn off all portable telephones during class and remove them from your desk during class.
- Do not do homework from other classes during your English class.
Since we only have a few minutes together each week, it is important that you thoroughly prepare for each class. The following are suggestions to help you use the textbook to its fullest.
- Always, always, always bring your text to class! If you've forgotten your text, then borrow one of your classmates' and make copies for the lesson that we will be covering in class that day. You cannot expect to do well in class if you don't have your book. Remember, if you don't bring your text to class, you will have one point deducted from your in-class exercise score for that day.
- Although we may not have time to cover every section of each unit in class, you are still responsible for the entire unit. Therefore, when reviewing each unit, make sure that you review the entire unit.
The Academic Honesty Policy for S&E English Classes
The following will be considered violations of our academic honesty policy:
- Copying answers from another student's exercise, quiz, etc. before or during class.
- Showing your exercise, quiz, etc. to another student before or during class.
- Using any form of ‘cheat sheet’ in performing an exercise, quiz, etc.
- Taking copies of an exercise, quiz, etc. (including unused copies) outside of the classroom. (This includes taking pictures of the exercise, quiz, etc.)
- Using writing instruments or telephones during feedback of an in-class exercise, quiz, etc.
- Copying answers from another student's exercise, quiz, etc. while it is being administered.
- Copying any portion of a homework exercise from another student.
- Allowing any portion of your homework exercise to be copied by another student.
- Copying (or closely paraphrasing) portions of a homework assignment from other sources (printed matter, the Internet, etc.) and presenting it as your own, regardless of whether you acknowledge the source. This includes using translation software to translate any portion of your submission into English.
- Sharing Rainbow or English Expeditions User IDs or Passwords with another student.
Any of the above violations will result in a score of 0 for ALL exercises on that day, as well as forfeiting your chance for extra-credit.
- 他者のQuiz, Exercise(予習用課題、復習用課題を含む)の答えを勝手に盗み見たり、写させてもらったりした場合
- 他者にQuiz, Exercise(予習用課題、復習用課題を含む)の答えを写させた場合
- Quiz, Exercise等において、カンニングペーパー等を使用した場合
- Quiz, Exercise等の答案(未使用のものも含む)を不当に持ち帰った場合 (カメラ付き携帯等による撮影も含みます)
- Quiz, Exercise等のフィードバックの際、筆記用具、携帯電話等を手にした場合 (正答を盗もうとしたとみなします)
- その他、Quiz, Exercise等の実施を妨害する行為、他者の受験を妨害する行為、 替え玉受験等も、不正行為とみなします。
- Homework Assignmentにおいて、他者のAssignmentの一部または全部をコピーした場合
- Homework Assignmentにおいて、他者に自身のAssignmentの一部または全部を コピーさせた場合
- Homework Assignmentにおいて、書籍やWWWのサイトから得た情報をそのまま、 もしくは改ざんの後、断りなく(引用を明記せずに)、自身のAssignmentに盗り入れた(すなわち著作権を侵害した)場合(英語の授業で課されるassignmentの多くは、引用を明記する、しないにかかわらず、一切の引用を認めていません) 。これには翻訳ソフトの使用も含みます。一旦日本語で書いて、それを翻訳ソフトを利用して翻訳して提出することは、それがたとえ一文であっても許されません。
- RainbowやEnglish ExpeditionsのユーザーIDやパスワードの授受があった場合